Time flies, especially when you’re having fun! It’s been three years since I got around to posting an update, but I have been busy exploring new facets of the hobby. I got bitten rather badly by the “Satellite” bug and decided to try my hand at working the LEO’s. It’s been an unending rollercoaster ride of learning, fun and new frontiers!
Who said you couldn’t teach an old HF dog new tricks?
This nice little HF/50 rig has been in the shack for a month now. What an incredible difference in RX compared to my older IC-756PROIII and IC-746PRO. This and the fact that the rig has an USB connector, makes it it one great rig to interface with the shack PC effortlessly. I have still not figured out how to get the interfacing and settings done to have FSK RTTY on N1MM+ with this new rig….WIP!
It’s one year since I last blogged. And, it’s been a busy year in the shack as well as at work.
To summarize, here are the few highs and lows that I can recollect:
- Had a lot of fun on the CQWW SSB 2011. Managed to work C5, 3D2 and TS2 on 10 Meters. This was my foray back into SSB contesting after a couple of decades!
- Was looking forward to chasing a few and S&P’ng on CQWW CW 2011, but had to give that idea up as I was caught up on the work front.
- With my rotator controller broken and having had to rig up a temporary solution for the CQWW RTTY, I went to the local electronics market and picked up an outdoor camera to mount on the tower. Works very well and also has infra-red LED’s that light up the boom in the dark. This wa going to be good for the new contest season in 2012.
- Qualified for DXCC’s on 20M and 15M with confirmations on LOTW. The wallpapers arrived in December.
- Made hybrid DXCC applications for Phone and 10M. Had my cards checked by Prasad/VU2PTT. In fact, mine were the first applications he checked after he became a card checker. This saved me a lot of time and money.